Let us jump right in!
- 1) OURSELVES. We hate ourselves. We wouldn’t admit it quite like that, but we don’t like our hair, or we could lose a few pounds, or whatever piece of self-consciousness that keeps us from calling… I hear it all the time. Plus, I have recently learned that because we see ourselves in the mirror, seeing ourselves as others actually do can be a tad disorienting because we look different when we look in the mirror. It kind of makes sense. Photographs are representations of everything in the world – except how we actually view ourselves, in the literal sense, each day.
- 2) THE UNKNOWN. There is nothing scarier than the unknown. I mean, what will happen? Will the session be a disaster? Will the kids cooperate? Will my face cooperate? Will the husband/wife be cranky? What about the weather? Where will we do the session? Will the images be any good?! Agh!
- 3) STRESS. Good gawd, like the unknown wasn’t enough to kill us and our already climbing stress level… it kind of goes back to #1 and #2. Kids are crabby. Ugh! Getting ready will be so stressful! We’ll all be late! Will it be rushed then???
which brings me to my next point to hate these things…
- 4) TIME. WHO HAS TIME FOR THESE!?!?
These are all pretty common reasons why people talk themselves out of ever scheduling some kind of portrait session. But they are also all the right reasons why we SHOULD schedule a portrait session.
I HATE having my portrait taken. HATE IT. But, each year, I make it a point to wrangle the family and get our photographs taken. ((And, believe me, any child of a photographer does NOT cooperate any better than anyone else’s kids… they still want to eat sand and run around and make funny faces just as much as the next kid…)) Whyyyyyy????
- 1) We should appreciate ourselves. This is our time on this planet and whether today is a good day or a bad week or an OK year or you haven’t lost that weight yet or your kids are just too craaaaazzzyyyyyyyy to allow for a session really isn’t a good enough reason. A session is the perfect way to capture your life – It’s time to capture what your family is NOW. And, sometimes a little bonus with some pampering before your session is a nice way to appreciate ourselves – it can be nice to have your hair and makeup done so you feel great… just saying… It works. (I should also add that my kids are accustomed to cameras. Doesn’t mean that they cooperate each time, though. They still like to run around and eat sand and make ridiculous faces. You’re not alone.)
- 2) Life is full of unknowns. I mean, who knows what tomorrow holds, amiright?! That’s a scary thought sometimes. But, the unknown is what makes life so much more exciting! So you aren’t sure what to expect at a portrait session? … HINT: I have a solution. Shoot me a message! Ask me a question – or two – or twenty! Let’s chat on the phone if that’s easier!
- 3) So you’re stressed about the session? Maybe a less formal session would be more ideal (aka: FUN). We can always pick a fun activity for your family to do together – a walk on the beach, a trip to the ice cream shop, a picnic… We could always chat about a fun activity that would be exciting and enjoyable for all of you and I could come along and document it – the good, the bad and the in between.
- 4) Oh, but you don’t have TIME. What if you schedule a session for something at home? Maybe we schedule it for an early weekend morning or an evening and record your every day, small moments together – sharing a meal, reading and snuggling, playing, going for a walk in the neighborhood. And, we can still incorporate authentic portraits of you together while we’re at it.
So, what are you waiting for?!
Stop listing all the reasons why you hate having your portraits taken or why you can’t… and start thinking about why NOW is the best time to have your family’s real life captured before it’s all a distant memory. If you are in Maine/New England or vacationing in Southern Maine shoot me a message and let’s make a plan together!